Some games are often played better with a controller rather than the keyboard mouse combo. So, DS4 is a windows tool that lets your PlayStation controller (Dual Shock 4) to be disguised as a Xbox controller which can be used to play games in Windows operating system. But sometimes the DS4 fails to recognize the connected controller.
This error keeps showing up after the recent windows update and many users are facing problems since they are not able to connect their controllers.
Well in this article, I will show you the best possible ways through which you can fix the error and continue your gaming session without any inconvenience.
What is Ds4 ?
A DS4 is a windows tool that lets your PlayStation controller to be disguised as a Xbox controller. It lets you easily connect your PS controller by deceiving the system to believe that the controller is a Xbox controller. But due to some new changes to windows OS the DS4 fails to operate until the user manually reactivates it.
What causes the Ds4 windows not detecting controller error?
There can be some minor problems because of which the DS4 windows not detecting controller error occurs.
Some common reasons of this error to occur are
- Recent Windows update: Latest windows update can be a possible reason behind the failure of DS4 to detect the controller.
- Faulty Drivers: Due to driver malfunction, the DS4 can fail to detect the connected controller. This issue can be easily resolved by simply reinstalling the drivers
- Faulty setting: Sometimes the DS4 may accidentally disable the controller to used in Windows OS.
How to Fix Ds4Windows not detecting controller error?
Here, I will be showing you the best possible ways on how to fix the DS4 windows not detecting controller error in Windows 10.
Follow the methods given below to fix the error.
1.Download the DS4 again or update it.
- Download the DS4Windows file from google.
- You will get a .zip file . Unzip it and you will get two files inside the folder.
- Click on DS4Updater.exe
- Click Yes to allow the application to download the latest update for it if required.
- After the update a message containing ‘DS4 Windows is up to date’ will appear on your screen.
- Now close the DS4 updater and relaunch the DS4 Windows.
- The device will appear under the Controllers tab.
If this method doesn’t work for you then probably your DS4 was already updated. So follow the other methods given below.
2. Edit Registry Entry for the Controller
- After the controller is connected, close the DS4 Windows
- Go to Control Panel and Select Hardware and Sound option
- Then go to Devices and Printers
- In the Devices section, right on the ‘Wireless Controller’ option and select ‘Properties’.
- Click on ‘Hardware’ Tab and on HID-complaint game controller in the Device Function list.
- Click on details and then select ‘Hardware ids’ from the drop down menu list of ‘Properties‘.
- Copy the first three entries in the Values section
- Now press Windows + R and type regedit and click Ok
- Expand ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE‘ in the list on the left of the Registry Editor. Then expand ‘System‘, then ‘CurrentControlSet‘, then ‘Services‘, then ‘HidGuardian‘, and then ‘Parameters‘.
- Double-click on the ‘Affected Devices‘ file in the left hand section.
- Copy paste the values in the list and click ‘OK‘.
- After doing so, restart your PC.
- Click on DS4 Windows and connect the controller.
This method will fix the problem with the DS4 error.
3. Enable Hide DS4 controller option
The DS4 sometimes recognizes two controllers instead of one and it gets confused from where it should take the input. This results in unable to detect controller error. Well but DS4 has an useful features that lets you hide the DS4 controller
- Open DS4 Windows
- Click on ‘Settings’
- Find the ‘Hide DS4 Controller’ option and click on it.
- Click on Controllers tab
- Plug in your controller and now the controller should appear in the Ds4 window.
4. Uninstall the controller
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on Hardware and Sound option
- Click on Devices and Printers
- In the Device section, find the Wireless Controller option and right click on it and click on Properties.
- Find the HID complaint game controller option from the Device Function and click on Properties.
- Click on Change Settings. A new window will appear
- Find Uninstall Device and click on it\
- Click Ok to confirm and close the DS4 windows
- Open DS4 windows again
- Now plug in your controller and check if the DS4 recognizes the controller
5. Check whether the controller is enabled in your DS4 or not
Sometimes windows update can cause this error that disables the controller to be recognized by the DS4. So manually enabling the option might fix the error or you. Here are the steps.
- When your controller is connected, open DS4
- Right click on start menu and go to Device Manager
- Expand Human Interface Devices option and click on the HID complaint controller option.
- Click on Enable device option among the listed devices
- Now close the Device manager and return to DS4
The controller should appear now in the Controllers Tab in DS4
These are the possible ways in which you can get rid of the DS4 windows not detecting controller error. I hope you were able to clearly understand and perform the steps to fix the error.
If the problem isn’t resolved or you are facing difficulty in understanding or performing any of the steps, feel free to comment down below.