Bidet attachments are designed to improve the bathroom experience in many different ways simultaneously. Depending on what you get, you could end up with a more thorough, more hygienic clean, a more comfortable seated experience, and even heating to get you through the winter.
So what makes these bathroom devices so capable of positively transforming your life?
What Is a Bidet Attachment?
A bidet attachment is a bathroom device designed to be installed on an existing toilet. Exact specifications and installation instructions vary, but you can usually expect to install this device without any issues in less than an hour. Once installed, the bidet attachment will function like a bidet, utilizing a stream of water to help you clean your underside after a bathroom visit. Depending on which model you select, the bidet attachment may offer additional functionality.
Key Features of Bidet Attachments
Many attachments offer features like the following:
- Easy installation. Bidet attachments are designed to be easy and inexpensive to install. Many people are reluctant to get a bidet in their bathroom simply because it would require a major renovation and changes to the plumbing lines. However, bidet attachments allow for easy and quick installation. Even if you don’t have much DIY knowledge or experience, you should be able to tackle the job yourself.
- A functioning bidet. Once installed, you’ll have access to a fully functional bidet, which carries several benefits we will explore in the next section.
- Temperature controls. In many cases, you’ll also gain access to temperature controls. Instead of being surprised by cold or room temperature water, you can get access to a much more comfortable, warmer stream of water.
- Pressure controls. Similarly, you may also have access to controls that allow you to adjust the pressure and intensity of the stream. Whether you want to be gently caressed or pressure washed, you’ll be in the driver’s seat.
- Spray controls. Some bidet attachments come with multiple nozzles that you can swap out for different purposes. Others come with modifiable nozzles that you can adjust for a different type of spray. Either way, you’ll have access to different sprays for different purposes.
- A heated toilet seat. On upgraded models, you’ll also find a built-in, heated toilet seat. If you hate the experience of sitting on a cold toilet seat in the middle of winter, this can be a massive improvement to your overall quality of life.
- Self-cleaning nozzles. Ordinarily, you’ll be responsible for cleaning the bidet thoroughly, as it can get dirty and infested with bacteria over time. However, some models now come with self-cleaning nozzles, allowing you to reduce your total cleaning workload. Do note that a self-cleaning nozzle doesn’t mean you can avoid cleaning your bidet attachment altogether.
The Impact of a Bidet
From strict comfort improvements to overall health benefits, bidets can help you in many ways.
- A thorough clean. One of the greatest advantages of using a bidet is that it gives you a much more thorough clean. Wiping dirt off your hands with a napkin or paper towel is nowhere near as effective as washing them with water; your backside works the same way. Once you start using this bathroom device, you won’t want to stop; you’ll feel fresher, cleaner, and more hygienic after every bathroom visit. Additionally, this method of cleaning can reduce the spread of germs, helping mitigate the spread of illnesses in peak infectious disease season.
- Prevention of hemorrhoids. Many people choose to use bidets and bidet attachments because they want to prevent hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can emerge or be made worse through the use of wiping with toilet paper, but washing with water is much less irritating.
- Reduced toilet paper consumption. The average American goes through a whopping 141 rolls of toilet paper every year. You may still need a little bit of toilet paper to pat yourself dry after using a bidet, but your average toilet paper consumption should plummet. Whether you’re interested in protecting the environment or just saving some money, this is a huge advantage.
- Greater comfort. While it does require a bit of adjustment if you’ve never used a bidet before, it’s only a matter of time before you come to recognize this cleaning method as being more comfortable. Wiping with rough toilet paper is a resolutely unpleasant experience for most people – even if you splurge on the softest brand you can find.
The Bottom Line
A bidet attachment may seem like a small, inexpensive, trivial upgrade to the bathroom, but as we’ve seen, it can have a major impact on your health and quality of life. If you’ve always been curious about bidets, or if you’re eager to see some of the advantages we’ve listed, shop around to find the right bidet attachment for your needs.